Monday, April 6, 2009

Selfish Mother Blow-Dries Her Hair While Son Impales Himself With Thermometer

OK, this didn't actually happen to me. But these are dead-seriously the headlines I come up with in my head when I have to take a shower or blow-dry my hair (things that make it impossible to keep tabs on my Curious George of a son.) Whenever I turn the water or blow-dryer off, I immediately expect to hear wailing in the background and find Soren on the ground with some serious injury I'll have to explain to CPS.

Right now Karl is out of town, so that makes getting ready for work in the morning even crazier than it usually is for us. I usually plan my showers for times when Soren is asleep or supervised by his Papa. I didn't have that option this morning, so I did the best I could. I put up safety gates and tried to put everything remotely dangerous out of reach - something that's getting increasingly harder to do these days (this kid is growing faster than I can keep up!) Still, he finds things that I would never see. Just the other day he saw and grabbed a pair of scissors before my mom could keep him from giving himself a little trim. Lovely.

Anyway, I guess the point of my post is to ask how you other moms do it. How do you get out of the house, or go to work looking somewhat classy without constantly running from your mirror when you hear silence (yes - that's when you know something's up)? For those of you who have sweet little girls who will obediently sit on the toilet watching you apply eyeliner with awe in their eyes - I don't want to hear from you. Haha (but seriously.) I'm talking a good 1.5 hours of taking a shower, doing your hair, getting dressed and applying make-up. What is your secret???

12 comments:

Sarah said...

I take Hattie into the shower with me (she has a little stool she sits on in the corner)- she is happy to play in the water and I can get a decent shower. I rarely blow dry my hair or apply makeup, but if I have to I lock her in the bathroom with me. There is no relaxing "me" time, but she stays within sight and I can usually keep her out of trouble while I get ready! The one time I tried to shower while she was content watching a movie in the other room, she managed to remove her diaper and poop on the living room floor. To her credit she put a clean diaper on when she was done! I have kept her in sight ever since!

Erin said...

Sarah - So funny about the diaper (and gross!) Yeah, I think "me" time when getting ready is a thing of the past, at least for the next several years.

Stover Family said...

"Busy mother vaccums while daughter lands eye first onto wood post"...that was me last night!

So way back 7 years when it was just Katy (the older sibblings always take care of the younger ones now) I would trap her in the highchair with cherrios and park it within view of me, or wake up an hour before she did...I also had a baby gate for her room so I knew I could just throw her in there knowing it was already baby proof...THen I put a mirror close to an outlet in whichever room she was best in and got ready in there...It only recently that I actually get ready in a bathroom now that the kids are older! Hope that helps...can you feed him breakfast in the bathroom, or by the door while you shower?

skylana said...

i was gonna say the same thing as this stover person... before ara wanted to sit and watch me, or before she was old enough to not do crazy things i would strap her in. strapping them in, to something, never fails.. because even if they scream they wont die... and that's all that really matters.

Stover Family said...

Hi Skylana! I'm Alyssa, mother to the famously cool Bradley (Soren's friend)...we met at Soren's first birthday party! I have been known to be forgettable though cause I'm a bit quiet...

Stover Family said...

re: Baby girl Lundeen's Amazon wish list...if you get that carseat I have the SitNStand stroller if you ever need to borrow one! Brad can totally do the backwards sit so Soren can for sure do it...and I have the carseat too, but it's already on loan or else you could borrow it...sorry!

Caris said...

I do not have any advice, but I do strongly urge you to not give up on this precious time. Hair blow-drying is a non-negotiable part of your day (maybe if you had less crazy hair, you could let it slide). I will have to manage the same juggling act pretty soon, but I will NEVER retire my flat-iron!!!

Erin said...

I love all of these responses. Thank you! Alyssa, I might just take you up on the SitNStand offer. I will borrow anything I can for this baby! Caris, thank you for your wise words. While I know for some people hair drying/styling is optional...you're right, for me it's not. (If people only knew what my hair would do, left to it's free will!!)

Fig+Sage said...

I love Caris and her convictions :)

Erin said...

Me too ;)

Paige said...

I am pretty sure that this is why God invented both pack-and-plays and Sesame Street. Regardless of your feelings about TV, girls gotta dry her hair.

Erin said...

Paige - Hahahaha! I love it and am in complete favor of using these methods (although I am opposed to kids watching TV normally.) I used to use a pack-n-play for this very thing, but he has become wise to the fact that he is tall enough to climb out now. They always keep you on your toes...