Wednesday, July 22, 2009

5 Days

The past week has been especially hard for me, for so many reasons.

I wish I had more physical energy so my son would remember these last days with just me as fun. Instead, I think he may remember being locked inside all day watching Thomas The Tank Engine while I apologize for being too tired to chase him around outside. I'm trying to make up for it by lots of snuggle time and reading books about how special older brothers are.

There are a lot of things I wish were different about life right now. It's not a great feeling to welcome a child into the world under difficult circumstances, but I know it's all relative and things could be much worse. I have lots to be thankful for, including a really sweet little boy who makes it hard
impossible to stay in a funk all day.

Today I'm being treated to a pedicure by some really sweet friends while they watch Soren - something I've been looking forward to for weeks. On Friday I have a little shower to celebrate Anika Jane and then on Saturday my sister flies into town (!!!) and then it will only be 2 days until I can shed this belly and meet our girl. I'm going to try to keep my sanity for the next 5 days and hope that postpartum hormones are easier to deal with than pregnancy ones.

2 comments:

s.t.a.n.c.i.e. said...

Soren likely won't remember what was happening this week, at least I didn't when you were about to be born (absolutely no memory of it). 29 years later, Mom & Dad tell me that I was getting CT scans with Dad while Mom was in labor with you, and I had absolutely no recollection of it (still don't).

I'm pretty sure you could make up whatever you want to tell him about this time as he'll likely not remember (not that I'm suggesting that) :) You could tell him you played with him like crazy, chased him for hours, and you two did all his favorite things and he will likely not remember one way or the other. I'm sure this time is impressionable so cuddle time and book reading is probably just as special for him. Hopefully that is somewhat comforting :)

So glad you have such sweet friends and that you're getting a pampering pedi! I hope your shower is fun and I can't wait to get there Saturday and help with anything and everything :)

xoxo,

S

meg said...

I'm so excited for you. 5 days away is like nothing! Get some rest and enjoy these last moments as a mother of one ;-)

Maybe when I'm in Callie I can meet her.