Friday, December 7, 2007

A Christmas Meme

I was tagged by Flo!

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?


Well, it depends. I LOVE using thick, cute (and expensive) wrapping paper and topping it off with a coordinating fabric ribbon. There are times though that it's just not practical to wrap every gift that way.

2. Real or fake tree?

REAL! One of my favorite things about the Christmas season is going to get our tree. Both Karl and I were total psychos when it came to getting the perfect Christmas tree when we were growing up. Not much has changed since then. And seriously, nothing compares to the smell of a fresh pine tree in your house!

3. When do you put up the tree?

Usually the first weekend in December. We're strong believers that you should allow at least a couple of weeks between one holiday and start of the next.

4. When do you take the tree down?

It's never up past New Years Day (unless we are traveling.) It's usually pretty dead by then and a major fire hazard since we're not the best at watering our trees.

5. Do you like eggnog?

Not really. I guess I like smelling it, but the ingredients kind of gross me out.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?

A porcelain puppy that my parents gave me when I was 5. I played with it the entire day and made a make-shift crate for it to sleep in. When it was time to go home, I was trying to juggle the crate and puppy and open the door to get outside. I dropped it and it fell to pieces on the tile floor. I didn't even have it for 24 hours.

7. Do you have a nativity scene?

Nope. Sad, huh?

8. Hardest person to buy for?

My mom.

9. Easiest person to buy for?

Karl. It's always a battle trying to narrow it down. It's going to be bad news when/if we ever have money.

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?

Survival gear - in case we got stranded in a snow storm on the way back to Colorado.

11. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards?

Mail. I'm really proud of myself for getting our cards out before Christmas this year!

12. Favorite Christmas movie?

I don't really know of any Christmas movies, except Miracle on 34th Street. I used to love watching that movie during the holidays, and apparently, I used to love watching Dylan McDermott too! (Thanks for that memory Flo!)

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?

Usually December. I am not a pre-planner when it comes to shopping for presents.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?

Not that I recall.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?

Pfeffernusse that my mom makes. Yummy!

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?

No question about it - WHITE!

17. Favorite Christmas song?

The Sarah McLachlan and BNL version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen." I'm in love with "It Really Is (A Wonderful Life)" by Mindy Smith and "Sister Winter" by Sufjan Stevens. "Merry Christmas Darling" by The Carpenters always makes me feel really festive.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?

Changes (ideally) every year.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?

Nope. My mom hates Santa Claus (or the idea of him), so I don't know much about him or his entourage.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?

Star. Angels creep me out.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?

It's a family tradition that we open 1 gift late at night on Christmas Eve. It's always pajamas, which means a lot because it is not an easy task finding pajamas that are long enough for me. (Thanks mom!)

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?

The "Christmas Shoes" song.

23. What I love most about Christmas?

Giving the perfect gift. Drinking cider. Cold weather. Being with family. Decorating the tree. Listening to Christmas music. Baking Pfeffernusse. Waking up to a white Christmas. Wait...

I hereby tag Caris and Betsy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is outrageous! How do I not know anything about your favorite porcelain puppy? Where was I? Probably too busy bossing you around, speaking for you and pinching your neck. Sorry about that :) I promise not to do that this Christmas ;)

S

Erin said...

Stance,

You got one too! It probably just wasn't as memorable because you didn't break yours. :) It was a Christmas we had at Aunt Nunu's. Anyways, I'm glad there will be no neck pinching this Christmas, it was my only Christmas wish!

Anonymous said...

Paranoia sets in...did WE give you the survival gift? Are those black helicopters I hear...