Sunday, March 16, 2008

So Proud

Last week was nuts for our family. Karl was working madly on finishing a group project for his architecture studio class and pulled 3 all-nighters in a row. Needless to say, we were both exhausted from his demanding school schedule and Soren was probably wondering if he had a father anymore.

On Friday, Soren and I went to Cal Poly to see the model that Karl's group had been working so diligently on for the past few months. His model was in a dark room with several other projects from students in his class; some were obviously better than others. Soren was so happy to see his Papa again and reached out for him as soon as we got there. For the first time in his life he was bashful around the new people who wanted to meet him and he clung to Karl like I had never seen before.

As we were standing around, admiring the HUGE (taller than me) model of a skyscraper in Dubai that Karl and his group spent hours on, I asked who would be taking this one home. We have maxed out our capacity to house anymore architecture models in our apartment, so I was hoping the other two guys would offer. At that same moment, Karl's professor walked up and said that she thought it belonged in the university archives! After wondering the whole quarter what she was going to think about their project (she was skeptical about their concept), she now thought it was worthy to save!

That's not all...this morning Karl received an email from his professor, informing him that his project was requested by other professors in the engineering and landscape architecture departments as an example of an excellent model! It will also be reviewed by the
National Council of Architectural Registration Board to evaluate Karl's professor (a process that is only done every 5 years!)

As you can probably tell, I am beaming with pride for my husband. This success is just another confirmation that he is doing what he loves AND that he is excellent at it. Yes, I might complain about not having a husband who is around as much as I would like, but I am confident that he is right where he should be right now. This is just a glimpse of the pride I will feel on graduation day!



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Karl, that's COOL!! So proud of you as well...

Hugs from Mom

Bret said...

Congrats Karl! It's great that your hard work is getting acknowledged. That model looks pretty impressive--way better than any of the models I've ever received from an architect.

Get some rest and spend some time with your family...and let me and Ryan know if you feel like hanging out or watching a movie or something.

Andrea Rooks said...

Congrats to all of you, Family Lundeen--to you Karl, for your awesome model of architecture; and to you, Erin, for your model of loving support (and to Soren, for your model of cuteness and growing love for both your parents)...

Fig+Sage said...

Yes, this is cool. Now build a model of the Sears Tower...BUT you have to come to Chicago to get a closer look first!!! Okay, that's just plain selfish of me. Back to congratulating you....you're great...and that's one crazy good model Kaaaal :) S

Flo Paris said...

"What is this!? A skyscraper for ants???!!!"

Hahaha. I kill me.

Karl, you are amazing. I'm happy for both of you-Karl because your hard work is paying off, and Erin, because you don't have to store a mini-skyscraper.

Josh (the oak) said...

Wow, that's pretty...what's the word I'm looking for? Phallic. That's it. It's pretty phallic.