Saturday, March 14, 2009

Important Things

I'm stealing the title from Demitri Martin - I know. So after you read this you should go watch his new show on Comedy Central. It makes me laugh sometimes, which is more than I can say for 98% of stand-up comedians.

First of all, I've got to say how much I appreciate having conversations with people that are willing to look at both sides of any issue. This is a difficult thing to do with most Christians, and I am so thankful for the few friends I have that are willing to talk about difficult things. I didn't grow up in a family that was able to do this, so in my adulthood I am trying to figure a lot of things out by talking with other people and thinking about it on my own. Recently, my best friend wrote a song that seemed to come right out of my brain. It's one of those songs that you wish everyone was able to hear. She said this song just seemed to come to her and begged to be written. I'm so glad she listened.

Speaking of songs - I am currently in love with the song, "No One's Gonna Love You" by Band of Horses. It's one of those songs that has changed my life a little. The lyrics are alright, but I'm not going through a break up so the message doesn't really hit home - I'm just enthralled by the melody. I love this video too, it reminds me of the Beach Boys documentary I watched several times a day when I was 10. What really cracks me up is that Soren will watch it with me and sit more still than he will for any kids video. We definitely share the same taste in music.



I've got to get back to child-rearing, but here's a little status update on the Citizens Jeans I mentioned in my last post. I am half-way there due to a very unexpected, generous and incredibly thoughtful gift from a dear friend who is sort of a fashion icon of mine. I would share her name if I had the OK, but I'm keeping her anonymous because I'm not sure that she wants the attention. She told me she had thought about it and really wanted me to have the jeans. Amazing. Of course, I cried and had no idea why she would do that for me. I was so grateful nonetheless. That gift came at the perfect time, after weeks of going through some pretty stressful drama and I was feeling very lonely and completely run down. No matter how many questions I may have about God, Christianity, religion, etc. right now - there are things that I won't ever question, and that is that God loves us and he shows that love through people in our lives. I feel blessed.

4 comments:

Julie said...

I love those jeans too!! How nice that you have such a sweet like that. And btw, I love your last two sentences that you ended your post with. I find them to be very true and moving, so thanks for sharing.

skylana said...

i want to know who gave you that money, not because i want to know who gave you the money, because i want to know who your fashion icon is? have i seen this person??? i can't handle it.

skylana said...

oh and i'm obsessed with that song now... the band of horses one.

Fig+Sage said...

Was that just one year you watched the Beach Boys video constantly? It felt like 5 years and I remember trying to hide (read: destroy) it so you wouldn't keep playing it because it drove me craaazy. ;) Was that before or after the Carpenters obsession?

I admit I welled when you told me "Fashionista" surprised you like that. Sometimes people won't ever know just how much their kind gesture meant to the recipient. I'm so glad she brightened your day/month/year by doing that...love her! If we all surprised someone with a random act of kindness this world would be a better place indeed.

Now come visit!!!!!!!!!