Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mo-Cy-Cul

Soren has some obsessions. Like any normal* mother, I tend to worry that maybe he is stricken with some mental disability or social handicap. Really, I think it's just because he's part me. I get obsessive like nobody's business, and it's not too far-fetched to think that I passed this little gem down to my son. Poor buddy.

I've got to hand it to him, once he finds something to be obsessed about, he sticks with it. Since before he could talk, he would make the sound for a motorcycle while clenching his fists and turning them forward -- like he was accelerating. He hasn't given up on this obsession since then and talks about, thinks about and hears motorcycles almost all day long. Recently, Karl and I decided to buy Soren a toy, since it had been several months since we had last done so. We don't have the funds to buy toys that he'll outgrow in a couple of months, and we don't like chincy plastic things lying around our house. We saw the answer to all of our needs at our local toy store and had to buy it for Soren. The PlasmaCar looks an awful lot like a motorcycle (well, at least to a 21-month-old) and he will be able to ride it for the rest of his life. Now that's what I call getting a bang for your buck! It is the perfect ride-on toy for him right now and will be something he can race on when he gets a little older. Then when he's completely grown he can bend his body in half trying to ride it, like Karl enjoys doing now (it supports up to 220 lbs!)

The best part is, Soren is in love with it. He couldn't take a nap for two days straight because he was so excited about riding it again. Annoying, but cute. Karl said this was the best $60 we have ever spent on Soren. After thinking through that statement, we decided that all the food, diaper and clothing expenses probably beat out the PlasmaCar for that title. Nevertheless, we made a pretty smart toy buying purchase this weekend.

The only downside is that I picked out the color (yellow and black) because I thought it looked most like a motorcycle, but Soren wishes it was blue. Sometimes he just gets off of it and says "blue one!" Perfect. It hasn't seemed to affect the overall satisfaction rating though. Check it...

*read: crazy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I demand adorable video of Karl riding the mo-cy-cul.

Flo Paris said...

I love the bait and switch to get the camera. Good plan. Cute boy!

Also, this video incited a shoving match between my children who were fighting over the closest seat to the laptop screen.

Unknown said...

AAAAAWWWWW!!! How CUTE is that Sören-man!! His tenacity/obsessing (or what we call 'drippy faucet') sounds MUCH like his papa ~ a chip off the ol' block! It CAN have it's benefits... ;o) Love youse guys!!

skylana said...

obviously you were thinking of ara instead of soren when you chose the color
. ... its ok, i know you miss her.

he's such a child. i hope we see him thursday and him and ara can be big together.

Mike L said...

Sorry Karl, I've gotta side with Erin, I think the yellow is better than blue. Maybe it reminds you too much of Pinto or Subaru wagons we used to drive, or Erik's Lynx. I like the yellow mocycul.

Tricia Swift said...

soooo cute! he is talking so well! looks like a fun purchase, I may have to look into it.