Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Spring Break

We're back from "Spring Break", which for me meant no work (besides the child-rearing) and for Karl meant a few days of a typical man's life - going to work in the morning/coming home in the late afternoon with no homework to do. It really is luxurious.

We spent the last half of our break in Pleasanton with my aunt, uncle, cousin and cousin-in-law. The day before we left my dad test drove my ever-failing car and said he wouldn't drive it anywhere but home and around town. I fought back tears at his words, since my soul was craving a trip out of town. After coming up with a few alternatives to driving our car, my parents decided to let us use theirs. Pretty sweet. The one down side was that my mom was side-swiped a few weeks ago and the passanger door doesn't open, so that made for some interesting moments as this pregnant lady tried to maneuver her body across the front seat of a Volvo sedan. All-in-all, it was no big deal and we were so excited to actually be getting our long awaited road trip.

When we got to Pleasanton, we met my cousin at her salon and she did my bi-yearly cut and color. I always love it, that's why I wait through some pretty terrible hair months until I can get up there again. There's also something particularly special about being able to chat with your cousin about everything instead of having to make small talk with someone. Her salon is fabulous too, so I feel calm and rich when I'm there - not things I usually feel. Ha ha! Soren and Karl walked around P-town and played at a park while I was there, having some much needed papa and son time.

The next morning we went to the Oakland Zoo. It was the first time Soren had been to a real zoo (Charles Paddock Zoo does not count) and although he was pretty stoic for most of it, he is still talking about the animals we saw there - including how many of them there were. This kid amazes me sometimes.

We had planned to head into the city after grabbing some lunch, but Soren and I were two tired puppies after the zoo. The rest of the day was spent relaxing by the pool, buying my much-obsessed-over Citizens jeans and eating out at P.F. Chang's China Bistro with my cousins while my aunt stayed home with Soren. A pretty wonderful day if you ask me! I don't remember the last time we had a "double date" with another couple. It was amazing!

The next day we headed back home after going out to lunch with the whole fam. It was a nice way to finish our weekend with them, despite Soren being wild from being kept up 2 hours past his nap time. We figured it was all worth it since he would for sure sleep for most of the car ride home - priceless. Well, he did in fact fall asleep as soon as we hit the road, but he woke 10 minutes later when we realized we both had to use the bathroom and we stopped at a gas station. He didn't fall back asleep the rest of the ride home. Stressful.

All-in-all, it was a very lovely way to end our week of normalcy. So, that's the recap...thanks for keeping up with this play-by-play post. Now it's "Back to life...back to reality..." (What would I do without hideous 80's pop songs to create part of the soundtrack of my life? I do not know.)

And no - no pictures taken. We forgot the camera. :(

No comments: